Saturday, February 16, 2008

Definitions


There's a big difference between artists and the idea of "being an artist." An artist is someone who "creates upon a flat surface, any visible object whatsoever." Whereas the "artist," can be someone of real ability (like Picasso) or it may be a trendy poseur (Damien Hirst) who is without ability and who will eventually go by the wayside.
The "art world" is hardly something that even exists. There are all manner of businesses, some large, some small that sell "art." But one would be hard-pressed to find one characterization that fits them all.Anyone who wants to paint would be wise to learn fundamental skills, study the history of art, have an open mind, and follow one's heart.
It's rather like learning a musical instrument. A violinist doesn't expect to master the instrument without playing some scales. Music develops through a process of both serious and inspired work. And so does real painting. But many people are actually enamoured of "being an artist" and have no interest at all in making pictures of things.
As to innovation, nothing could be more challenging than to take ideas that have captured the attention of generation after generation of human beings and to make those ideas come to life again. The greatest and most "revolutionary" art is really the most traditional -- when ideas that participate in a perpetual present tense have real life in them.

5 comments:

atomicelroy said...

I see you are a Stuckist!
http://www.stuckism.com/.
good for you!

ART HAS ALWAYS BEEN MORE THAN JUST PAINTING!

ModerationsMuse said...

Yes, of course it is. Though the definition I use for art that appears in quotes is not mine. I was being ironic. The quote comes from a very famous source. I wonder if you could guess who.

ModerationsMuse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ModerationsMuse said...

This guy "atomicelroy" found this blog by accident and comments that I must be a "stuckist" -- whatever that is. And I replied to his remark -- twice. I deleted the second comment, yet add this one. I need to do a whole post, really a series of posts, addressing this fellow's sound-bite.
He's saying in effect that I'm "traditional," laying down the worst label (one supposes) that could be uttered. But the truth is, he's the establishment guy. Mr. atomicelroy is the one doing the kind of "art" that the "art world" expects people to do.
I am traditional in that I have studied the old masters, as well as have studied a wide ranging art of various countries, periods, styles, etc. But I would wager that my pictures are less predictable than the videos and so forth that today's trendy artists make. At least my art comes from my own life. It is about things that I love. It is about looking, about perception, about feelings, about nature.
Does it matter that an artist "repeats" subjects that have engaged human beings for as long as civilization? Don't people plant flowers in their gardens still? Is that passe now? Real art is neither past nor present. It just is.

atomicelroy said...

Sorry I never saw your replies. I was being Ironic also (hence the Good For You). Art HAS always been about more than just painting. There's sculpture, assemblage, photography, etc.
The demise of painting is constantly hawked about yet never seems to materialize. I feel the "death of Painting" is more about Painters fear of the loss of popularity which, it dominated during the Modernist period.
A valid point , yet total over-reaction which the six years has proven, Zombie Formalism anyone?