Thursday, March 20, 2008

Patton Wilson et al


I just learned about this guy 30 seconds ago. Amazing thing, the internet. Obviously, I was not looking for him or I would have been acquainted with his paintings prior to 30 -- oops -- now 40 seconds ago.
Actually, I was looking up "Claude Parsons," the author of How to Draw and Paint Flowers. Don't know what Mr. Wilson's connection to Claude Parsons is though. More on that later.
Anyway, seeing this painting in reproduction, I'd have to say it looks quite lovely. Sometimes paintings that look great in a photograph are disappointing when one encounters the actual object. But I'm guessing this looks very fine when seen face to face.
What strikes me as odd is that there's a whole school of people who paint like this -- who not only do modern trompe l'oeil, but who do it in this way, straight down to the very staged, variegated coloristic, whimsical arrangement of things. Yet you never see them.
I have yet to see an exhibit of works of this type. Somebody somewhere must be mounting exhibits of them, but they are far and few. Art of this type is larged boycotted by the "art world." And it's unfortunate. I don't paint in this manner myself so I'm not advocating for it. It's just unfortunate (and silly too) that "art" is defined so narrowly nowadays.
You can see more of Patton Wilson here.

1 comment:

ModerationsMuse said...

I'm commenting on my own post. Call this a footnote. But notice the play of light over the leaves of the flower! The color differences between the tops of the leaves and the underneath is so sensitively and beautifully realized!
Why is it so hard to find these artists? The "contemporary" museums do a great dis-service. This guy is a 21st century artist and his paintings should be exhibited in 21st century museums.